This Month: The Missing Cardinal Energy: Libra * Astrological Trends * Nourishing Recommendations
Looking to Libra: The Missing Cardinal Cross Energy
Where is Libra in your chart?
Depending on the house, LIbra performs like an actor on various film sets in each of our lives to refine work on a script until the scenes finally one day flow harmoniously for us. The Libra function for a person is to seek out harmony in the area of life it is found in the chart.
The current Astrological transits are heavy with Cardinal energy in August, which is initiatory energy. The Cardinal Signs are Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn.
Mars is spending the Summer and Fall double-crossing Aries (tongue-in-cheek). First, it travels nearly through all 30 degrees of the first sign of the zodiac and then Retrogrades and backtracks before finally switching signs as the calendar year changes. Meanwhile, Mars will align with Chiron Retrograde in Aries, the archetype of the warrior communing with the archetype of the wound. Capricorn energy is heavy and fecund with the Jupiter-Pluto-Saturn conjunction this year. We just had a New Moon in Cancer while Mercury whisks through Cancer. Cancer then hosts Venus making its passage. The North Node recently changed from Cancer into Gemini, so the Cancer energy has been underlined and heavily activated for 18 months in a series of Cancer/Capricorn eclipses. The cardinal signs are active, but the silent sign and the silent energy that has not been heard from is Libra.
The point on the 360-degree circular wheel that is across from a highly active point is called the polarity point. In this case, it can be imagined like a holographic forth leg for an unstable table. The table’s not able to stand on its own until it becomes a grand cross aspect pattern and a planet moves around onto that fourth point.
In the 3-planet, unstable, T-Square aspect pattern (a 180 degree opposition where both planets are 90 degrees square another between them), it’s often suggested you look to the silent fourth point that would otherwise form a grand cross. This balance to form a grand cross stabilizes conflicting energies that are activated. It’s a suggested method of energetic synthesis for conflicting energy systems in Astrology.
In this case, the missing energy is Libra energy, across from Mars in Aries. If we think about Libra energy, it is the energy that represents balance and harmony.
In contrast, Mars is impulsive and has trouble waiting to act. Sometimes a frustrated, impulsive Mars can appear or even act aggressively. Aries energy often manifests as stressful, survival, gut-level energy when unrefined. Aries can represent the ram, butting heads and running after you fast and furious. It is in conflictual placement to Capricorn which is systems and institutions. This is the army ramming the castle door. It is the two most ambitious signs of the zodiac at loggerheads.
Cancer is underneath it all, adding a dose of cardinal sensitive emotional reactivity to the mix. Negotiation is not the finer point of ANY of these signs. In the most conflicting placements, listening and flexibility has gone out the window. Everyone wishes to take charge. It’s a vicious cycle of Power seeking – Action – Reaction.
What is missing? The cardinal seeker of harmony and beauty. Libra energy looks outside itself. Its solutions are relational and equitable. The understanding of the self as a relational part of the greater whole. Libra reframes how relationships occurs. Instead of viewing oneself as separate from the “objects” out there, a reframed view is that we live more like drops of water within a sea and that we are a part of a greater whole. The objects around us are not dead things to be consumed, in that perspective, but part of one large life that we are related to and contained within.
Libra provides the lens that relates in every aspect of life.
Libra is also the cardinal air element sign. The beliefs and conceptualizations of being human drive the actions and understandings of how brain cells form and function, and how decisions occur. When a human forms a thought, forms words, takes actions both unconscious and conscious—they depend upon these frames of belief.
Before a sagacious Sagittarian teaches about belief systems, those beliefs are refined in the energy of Libran relationships that exist in people’s lives. It suggests that some of what can ameliorate/balance out the noise of the collective chaos and individual impulses can be found by integrating our beliefs and behaviors within our reflections in trusted one-on-one relationships. Another way to view this is to ask oneself, when engaging in behaviors of all kinds, questions such as:
- How would I like it if someone else treated [insert person you love the most] this way?
- What if my partner did this?
- What would I do if the person I love the most was the person standing in front of me and I was saying these words?
- Would I treat my dog this way?
- If my child were at risk, if my mother/father/brother/sister were being treated the way that person is being treated, how would I act and respond?
- Who is my trusted confidant?
Before you act, for the remainder of this year, call upon the Libra energy across the zodiac wheel from wherever Mars is located, to balance out the scales of inner compulsion and impulse. Have a conversation with your partner, even if that partner is in spiritual form rather than human form. Take a few beats and, when you can, allow balance and harmony to be your trusty companions. (And please remind me to do the same!)
In September, Mercury moves into the sign of Libra and quite naturally this balance will begin to occur somewhat automatically, but you can get a head start if you focus on harmony and balance earlier.
- Saturn conjunct Pluto in Capricorn (exact January 12, 2020), in orb until December 26 except May 8-17, even during Saturn retrograde (but never exact again)
- January 1-October 30 (exact February 20, July 27, October 12) Jupiter in Capricorn sextile Neptune in Pisces
- February 4-December 23 (Exact April 4, June 29, and November 12) Jupiter conjunct Pluto in Capricorn
- April 25 – October 4 Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn
- May 11 – September 29 Saturn Retrograde in Aquarius and Capricorn
- May 14 – September 13 Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn
- June 23 to November 28, Neptune Retrograde
- July 29 – December 20 Mars in Aries square Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn (Exact August 4 – Mars Direct & Jupiter Retrograde and October 18—Mars Retrograde & Jupiter is Direct) (also exact January 21, 2021 – Jupiter in Aquarius square Mars in Taurus when both are direct)
- July 28-August 5 (exact July 31) Sun in Leo trine Chiron Retrograde in Aries
- July 28- August 1 (exact July 30) Mercury in Cancer oppose Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn
- July 30- August 3 (exact August 1) Mercury in Cancer oppose Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn
- July 31- August 6 (exact August 3) Mercury in Cancer oppose Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn
Saturn conjunct Pluto in Capricorn (exact January 12, 2020), in orb until December 26 except May 8-17, even during Saturn retrograde (but never exact again): This is one of the most powerful aspects of our lives, and a once in a lifetime occurrence. The opportunity to deconstruct and reconstruct a new world. A steady and consistent effort can provide a way to work within the world that will honor our values in a noble way. Nature is larger than man, and we need to align with a higher vision as we make a new world, culture, society, and systems. The idea that men are machines or the ideas that our parents and the world has transmitted are not aligned with higher values. Saturn is the lord of karma and Pluto is the great destroyer/transformer/re-maker. Together, they can embody some larger conversations among nature and mankind is part of nature.
January 1-October 30 (exact February 20, July 27, October 12) Jupiter in Capricorn sextile Neptune in Pisces: When the expansion of universal governance meets consciousness in the most active of supportive aspects, this can provide an interesting mix. This is a non-personal aspect but likely will affect us all in personal ways depending on how it touches our chart. With Venus integrating alongside Neptune, relationships and/or values will certainly be deeply activated. Business and financial relationships may shift to a deeper or more spiritual slant. What planets do you have located in water and earth signs in the middle degrees? They may be activated by this influence.
February 4-December 23 (Exact April 4, June 29, and November 12) Jupiter conjunct Pluto in Capricorn: This is the aspect that brings us the telescope and the microscope. How much more literal and down to earth could the fusion (conjunction) of the planet of expansion and size (Jupiter) conjunct transformation (Pluto) be? Now we’re looking into black holes, still looking at space in new and revolutionary ways… In conjunction also with Saturn I feel it does have something to do with time and “event horizons.” However, in spiritual and evolutionary terms, we can take that into examining the black holes in our own lives. Where are we losing power? What energy holes and vortices need to be “closed up?” That’s a revolution and transformation that can serve us if we telescope and microscope in and out within our lives and take a look at how we are doing.
May 11 – September 29 Saturn Retrograde in Aquarius and Capricorn: There is a test before us this year. That test is one in which we are going to need to lock in our singular, lone ability to do the things that are good for the group—good for humanity—and no one will probably see us doing it. We will need to do something other than narcissism. Other than be seen to do what it is we are brilliant at doing. If we were to perish before we are ready (and when does anyone ever feel ready to die?) what would we choose to do anyway? I realize I would choose to love. Maybe write some things. Move my body and enjoy the beauty in the world, taking in as many breaths as I can. Soak in nature’s amazing beauty like my body is a sponge for it. My Saturn is in a Stellum with Venus in my first house in Taurus—so my body and receptivity carries heavy weight in the things that I do when no one is looking. I simply breathe and be and enjoy being alive when there is no audience. Maybe a Leo Saturn would put on a costume for their own epic production. Aquarius Saturn is going to invent something, however. Solve some problems. Resolve some issues on a grand scale. Saturn retrograde has us gazing inward with an intellectual, scientific bent. This is a test of your emergency broadcast system.
April 25 to October 4 Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: (24 59 to 22 29 degrees.): Psychological shifts, empowerment through sifting through conflicting beliefs, restarting transformative projects while letting go of major things—these are shifts. Letting go can make you feel constrained at times. It’s tough to feel your life is actually expanding but it will be. You will say goodbye and hello at the same time. It seems like that kind of scene where you’re standing in a hallway and you have to set down the many suitcases and burdens you are carrying in order to open the door and step into a beautiful new destination. Maybe a whole new dimension you could never have imagined, but it’s the kind of door that only you will fit through— not the baggage. Set it down during the retrograde. Leave it behind. Wear only what you want to take with you. Or wear nothing at all. Pluto is going to set the wardrobe anyway, so I’d not be forming strong opinions.
May 14 to September 13 Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn: The expansion of things such as the COVID-19 virus (since that’s the major correlation with Jupiter in Capricorn thus far) may appear to lessen as Jupiter turns retrograde, but it’s likely only going to be temporary until the planet turns direct again on September 13. This is an exploratory, philosophical, search-for-meaning phase. Pan, son of Hermes or Mercury, in ancient Greek myth, watches over the Shepherds and the huntsmen. He made friends with the Gods in Mount Olympus, and despite his horns and hooves, he was gentle and loved music (pan flute) and chased the nymphs. The hunters who were scared of Artemis made sure to give Pan adoration instead. Pan’s stories are the ecosystem of Capricorn, and when Jupiter retreats in Capricorn, it is sometimes into Pan’s lair that we find him. Pan and Apollo (another name for Jupiter) famously had a contest to see whose music was preferred—everyone chose Apollo’s except King Midas. Apollo was furious to not have 100 percent of the votes and turned King Midas’s ears into donkey ears. Pan didn’t or couldn’t rectify the situation. Midas had a barber who kept the secret as long as he could, covering up the ears in a variety of ways. One day he went to the mountains and dug a hole into the rock to yell out his story, though, that “King’s aaasss ears!” What he didn’t know is that he had dug a hole into echo’s rock. You can still hear the sound of his voice yelling “King’s aaasss ears!” in the mountains. I don’t know if the moral is that Jupiter and Pan getting together has consequences beyond what you would think, or that sound carries in the sign of Capricorn and in the mountains. Or cooperation is better than competition. That’s something to reflect upon while Jupiter travels through its retrograde period.
June 23 to November 28, Neptune Retrograde: With the reversal, or retrograde, of Neptune’s motion, we have the chance to see how this planet has been operating on us from its home placement in Pisces. Neptune is in a powerful placement and yet it is in a sign that does not “do” power. Neptune itself is a dreamy planet. I experience it as a portal and a calling operator, unlike Mars or Saturn or Pluto. Those planets manifest in ways that are visible and Uranus can manifest, when triggered, in a lightning flash. Neptune operates slowly, like water. In a water sign, that is enhanced. We might see many signs of escapist activity occurring—and it needn’t be anything that hits us over the head. Virtual reality and living and perceiving more from our fantasies than from observable reality. Increased reliance on pharmaceuticals and difficulties accessing our own agency to get things accomplished. Then there are the usual suspects—alcohol and (mine) eating, harmful substances and sexual preoccupations. Neptune can cover the exploration into DNA alterations, fantasy, envisioning, our capacity for spirituality. On what I think is nowadays the more positive side of Neptune in a heavy time for the planet, Neptune can inspire our capacity for playful and fun activities, and the fascination for exploration about human consciousness itself. All humans may find themselves engaging in more meditation and sleeping more. It will likely be the cumulative effects of beauty causing the tipping point for change and awakening of the masses. This can happen in Incremental pushes, not lightning bolts—raising the group consciousness of humans the way water slowly raises the level of what is floating upon it. In retrograde, Neptune is a little less cloudy and we may be able to see the functions here slightly more clearly or attempt to support them with our heart’s intentions.
July 29 – December 20 Mars in Aries square Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn (Exact August 4 – Mars Direct & Jupiter Retrograde and October 18—Mars Retrograde & Jupiter is Direct) (also exact January 21, 2021 – Jupiter in Aquarius square Mars in Taurus when both are direct): This aspect speaks to tension can conflict between new action and expansion. It seems like the idea of reopening “the world” is challenged during the entire Mars in Aries traversal during the latter part of this Year. With Mars in Aries wanting lots of Action and Activity and Jupiter being the planet of making things bigger—the problems only grow bigger the more activity occurs. So it’s difficult to see that the best active initiation is to do as little as possible and let the transits work through until Jupiter and Mars can find new ways to be together as Jupiter and Saturn move through Aquarius and new social methods are created. Mars is very initiatory. But its impulses need to be tempered now instead of expanded. Use physical activity in safe environments to burn off the Aries energy and self-regulate with Saturn’s help and wisdom. This is a time to develop maturity and support others as the Mars Warrior, but not to put you or your loved ones at risk. The timing of this conflict aspects seems to put us well into 2021 before there is any easing of social restrictions, and I think it speaks to the astrological conversation about being patient with staying physically distant and all the attendant needs for patience and the emotional, physical, financial, and social toll it takes on each of us. However, knowing it will be long-term can give us the ability to plan for it and plan for the inevitable inner and outer barriers we will need to navigate. We can do this! We have to, so let’s buckle up and find the backup plans for our own health like Mars in Aries wants us to do!
July 28-August 5 (exact July 31) Sun in Leo trine Chiron Retrograde in Aries: Chiron asks us to heal ourselves and in trine it gives us the power to do so. If we come up with a plan for moving forward through 2021, and put the plan into daily practice, we will be doing well! Remember, with Sun in Leo, to put a lot of fun and generosity of spirit into that plan.
July 28- August 1 (exact July 30) Mercury in Cancer oppose Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn: This is the call to balance out any negative thinking with nurturing thinking.
July 30- August 3 (exact August 1) Mercury in Cancer oppose Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: Look for the helpers around you and either help others or find some psychological support if needed.
July 31- August 6 (exact August 3) Mercury in Cancer oppose Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn: Teachers who show up can help you regain mental clarity and balance so you can nurture and care for yourself and others.
Pluto Remains Retrograde
Saturn Remains Retrograde
Jupiter Remains Retrograde
Neptune Remains Retrograde
Chiron Remains Retrograde
August 2020 Astrology Trends
The Cardinal Influences: Mars and Chiron in Aries; Jupiter, Pluto, and Saturn in Capricorn; Venus in Cancer; Mercury moving into Libra in September
- August 7 Venus in Cancer: Venus enters the dark. The caves. Middle Earth. The Mycelium beneath the mushrooms. Unpremeditated kindness and love; support and tenderness. The depth of emotional experience. Mother is the mask and shell Cancer wears. To love as an adult is another effort altogether, requiring the crab to come out of its shell and be vulnerable. Mothering cannot be the basis of an equal partnership or friendship just as the Capricornian Institutions of a society cannot be based upon fear and fascism. In both instances of this duality, security and stability must be built upon experiences of trust. In the case of Cancer, the risks are individual. In the case of Capricorn, the risks are collective. Compassion cannot be provided only to strangers far away; it must be provided to those we are intimate with and to ourselves. The issue of trust is scheduled for relationships of both kinds. The creative nature of Venus should be engaged during this time, also. Use the water sign for your creative endeavors.
- August 15 – October 10 (Exact August 24 – When Saturn is Retrograde, and September 29 – When both Saturn & Mars are Retrograde) Mars in Aries Square Saturn in Capricorn: The tension between wishing to take immediate actions to change what you think is wrong in society and in groups and structures, especially in defense of self or others, runs into delays.
- August 1, 2020 – January 5, 2021 (Exact August 13 – When Pluto is Retrograde / October 9 – When Mars is Retrograde / December 23 – When both are Direct) Mars in Aries square Pluto in Capricorn: Influences well beyond your instincts and will to change and initiate actions will rule the day. There is a stress point between the two that my feel frustrating. It’s important to know the time isn’t right to act on impulse.
- August 12-19 (Exact August 16) Venus in Cancer square Chiron Retrograde in Aries: It’s difficult to keep from masking oneself to show something different from what you authentically feel. I don’t know what the answer would be in this one. It looks like a relationship asks you to hide your authentic feelings, or a wound to your sense of self or you feel like you have trouble surviving something intact. Take care and be gentle with yourself and others. Speak with care and kindness. This can apply to the relational or financial aspects of Venus, where harm may be experienced.
- August 20-29 (exact August 25) Venus in Cancer oppose Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn: There is a lot of trouble trusting the personal vs. the collective, and this expands during this time. Mothers and families, legal and philosophical arguments back and forth, religious and moral arguments, financial systems, governments, etc. Even physical buildings with the Capricorn influence.
- August 27-September 3 (exact August 30) Venus in Cancer oppose Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: The Mother of solitude and the Father of solitude face off here and need to find the balance point. Neither is known for compromising or budging. One wonders how these archetypes ever spawned… Another possibility is passivity (lonely in a cave) vs. suppression (turned to stone and ice and floating lonely in the void between stars). It’s not really the time to let depression stop you. Instead, allow the creative drive of Venus to be your guide. Use creativity, make the things you have been trying to make come alive.
- September 1 – 6 (exact September 2) Venus in Cancer oppose Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn: Practice self-discipline in practicing your virtues. The process is the point of the process-definitely not your self-aggrandizement and not profit and not the motives that have very little to do with values that will not matter when you die. Think about what is important to you and integrate the more meaningful things RIGHT NOW. Not later. Not to please another. Not as a mask to show the world. But because some things your soul needs you to create and now is when you’re scheduled to create them.
- September 1-8 (Exact September 4) Venus in Cancer square Mars in Aries: Mars ignites our systems and Venus is throwing buckets of water on the revving engine. Who in the world is the driver? Calm down and think about how to both extend trust and regulate your own impulses. Venus always presents paths toward harmony. You don’t need to show them out in the world to create and make new things. That may be the compromise between acting and being calm.
- September 5 Mercury in Libra: Here is the opportunity finally to give and receive information as the balancing leg of the cardinal energy that has been at play. Write and talk and listen and learn and read about serenity. This is the sign that knows how to take a coin and flip it. Give Libra evil and they will flip it into virtue. Libra can balance kindness with harm, can always see both sides to any argument. Watch out for confirmation bias in your own chart where Libra sits, though, because you can use your own ego to justify whatever you believe when you engage this flexibility.
Heart & Mind Together: Sun and Mercury Moving together through Leo and Virgo: The Sun and Mercury work quickly and form a conjunction in Leo this month. In Leo, they ask us to take care of ourselves and pay attention to our inner sovereign. We should be playing a little more until the shift into Virgo reminds us that the best leaders are servant-leaders who do what is noble and good for everyone from a humble place. The beginning of September offers the opportunity for either an important breakthrough in the collective unconscious or else the ballooning of whatever the Jupiter-Pluto-Saturn conjunction’s influence brings to us.
- July 31 – August 3 (Exact August 2) Sun in Leo square Uranus in Taurus: Possible anxiety as you download ideas from the collective unconscious or your higher mind. Allow yourself to unwind in nature as you attend to your body and spirit and discover what is genius about being incarnated human. Allow yourself some healing time and connect with Gaia.
- August 4 Mercury in Leo: Pay extra compliments to those you love and make sure to save some for yourself, too! Play with ideas that give you joy. Make sure to turn to thoughts that activate joy in your heart!
- August 7-11 (exact August 9) Chiron Retrograde in Aries trine Mercury in Leo: Let the lion in your roar as a way to heal if you need to review how the past has affected you now. Maybe you need to release something. You can use your voice or dramatize something to release what you need to let go of. For healing, there is something physical to do. Something larger than life, symbolic, active, physical, intentional. You can ignore it, but you would miss an opportunity to let go and let loose. Maybe the lion metaphor means a lazy day of cuddling, alternatively!
- August 9 – 12 (exact August 10) Mercury in Leo square Uranus in Taurus: This portends that if you try to be too smart maybe that will cause more tension than it’s worth, Keep things simple and let the heart rule the head. Being kind instead of clever is advised. Also, it is possible to get a little inflexible since these are both fixed signs.
- August 9-23 (Exact August 16) Sun in Leo trine Mars in Aries: This is a very inspirational and auspicious aspect! With both of these planets in their natural signs and elements, this is all gears moving forward and so whatever is happening there is much energy to support it. A time of a lot of action where you can move instinctually and quickly forward. Take a leap and take some action on something you have been wanting to do.
- August 14-18 (Exact August 16) Mercury in Leo trine Mars in Aries: You will be feeling inspired and your heart will likely be leading the way forward as you feel it is okay to take the risk to move forward with making progress on things you have been wishing for.
- August 12-22 (Exact August 17) Mercury in Leo conjunct Sun in Leo: Your heart’s desire is within reach as you take action during mid-August.
- August 18 New Moon in Leo: A time to make bold wishes and beginnings. The Moon adds instinct and more Leo juju to the kite aspect pattern to strengthen your heart’s desire. You can dramatically feel yourself ready for a renewal and restart. Self-focus and self-care, as well as having a witness and audience for your intention, is a healthy and necessary next step. Bravo!
- August 10 – 12 (Exact August 11) then August 23 – 27 (Exact August 25) Sun in Leo Quincunx Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn: Make any adjustments you need to along the way to stay out of getting delusions of grandeur. You can have your heart’s desire and also remain realistic and calm. You don’t need to take on or take over the world to be happy. You only need a tiny portal of heaven in your space in the world.
- August 13 – 15 (Exact August 14) Mercury in Leo Quincunx Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn: Think seriously about sustainability and what it means to live in a way that gifts others along with yourself with every move you make and you will be a lot happier.
- August 12 – 17 (Exact August 15) Sun in Leo Quincunx Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: The world and what wealth and materialism means are changing and you will find yourself changing along with them. I recommend Charles Eisenstein if you have not read his books on being between two stories in terms of economic realities and living in a gift economy instead of a capitalistic economy.
- August 15 – 17 (Exact August 16) Mercury in Leo Quincunx Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: Money only stands for something else and is not the actual thing or valuable thing, Pluto in Capricorn is teaching us. Be willing to ask questions about systems that no longer serve anyone but actually enslave us. What does freedom look like?
- August 15 – 20 (Exact August 18) Sun in Leo Quincunx Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn: What is teacher Saturn teaching you about the time, limitations, power structures, dependencies, vulnerabilities, and failures/successes of the systems and patterns and structures around you? Before it moves into Aquarius and asks us to learn about social values? Think about risks and vulnerabilities—especially to your body—during these days.
- August 17 – 19 (Exact August 18) Mercury in Leo Quincunx Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn: This is a time to adjust and become flexible in how you order your world. From schedule to the rules and laws to the way you learn and grow and how you put things together in your world, it’s a time of restructuring.
- August 19 Mercury in Virgo: Mercury moves into one of the signs it rules. This can be a sign where Mercury has some power to reorganize and heal some of the chaotic mental energy that has felt scattered for months. Virgo is a sign that can allow the mind to concentrate and focus, with flexibility as well. Questions are not only posed—they are investigated. Meaning is found and not a minute is lost.
- August 22 Sun in Virgo: Good time for a class, for cleaning up, for clearing out energies. Virgo can mean meeting guides, mentors, and teaching/learning. A time to get into the activities you may have been deferring. Look down and see what your feet are doing. Walking meditation. Become yourself more fully via service and giving to the world.
- August 23-25 (exact August 24) Mercury in Virgo quincunx Chiron Retrograde in Aries: If you trip and fall, simply get back up again. Mistakes are wonderful. Embrace them.
- August 27–31 (Exact August 29) Mercury in Virgo trine Jupiter Retrograde in Capricorn: This is an opportunity to set up a learning organization style system. The bigger picture can be explored. Connections can be integrated. You can look into systems theory, learning theories, and theories of all types. Thinking about how to create structures, systems, theories, and philosophies is probable. Abstract thought—the big thoughts—is supported. Just make sure you write it down in a way you’ll be able to translate it so you can recall and communicate about it later!
- August 24–31 (Exact August 30) Sun in Virgo trine Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: More support for the idea that insights about powerful new ways to reorganize big systems may be provided from the collective unconscious. Listen to the voices and messages that feel they are coming from “life.” That could be Pluto and Jupiter working together to bring gifts down to planet earth in the Capricorn Earth sign. For once, this is a very benevolent aspect. (The aspect could, I suppose, simply amplify whatever is happening if it is already harmful to us but good for the earth, but hopefully we will be doing benevolent works.)
- August 30–September 3 (Exact September 1) Mercury in Virgo trine Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn: With head and heart working together and Pluto providing the benevolent unconscious power along with Jupiter (Santa Claus), multiple people may all wake up with the same new thought about how to reorganize or rebuild or recreate something.
- August 30–September 4 (Exact September 2) Sun in Virgo trine Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn: This influence provides stability, commitment, support and staying power to the new and gifted breakthrough that is possible with Jupiter and Pluto being activated by the Sun and Mercury beaming from Virgo.
- September 1–September 5 (Exact September 3) Mercury in Virgo trine Saturn Retrograde in Capricorn: When people speak, they will somehow find the support they need or speak at the right time, or timing will be auspicious because of this Mercury aspect. Communication will allow for solidifying ideas and commitment to restructuring and planning activities.
- September 6–14 (Exact September 9) Sun in Virgo trine Jupiter Retrograde/Stationary in Capricorn: As Mercury speeds up and pulls ahead of the Sun, the Sun trine Jupiter during its turn around from retrograde to direct. Jupiter trine Sun is a particularly strong aspect, and at a stationary point is even stronger. This means the influence of Jupiter (aka Santa Claus in many contexts) is even stronger. My thought is the breakthrough comes to life around this time period. Virgo is the sign of healing, growth, ethics, evolution.
- August 28 – September 1 (Exact August 31) Sun in Virgo quincunx Chiron in Aries: This is Virgo’s adjustment that learns self-expression only through service to others. All of us have Virgo somewhere in our charts, and the requirements of our souls are absolute in making sure we never get left unpolished until we develop ourselves in that aspect of our being through service to others.
Kite Pattern Activated with the Nodes, Mercury, Mars, and Venus during August: The Kite Pattern means that trine and sextile aspects, which are generally known as supportive influences, are much more likely to be acted upon than normally. “Supportive aspects” can also add fuel to any fire, or course. If you are driving 50 miles an hour toward a cliff, a trine can help you drive 80 miles an hour toward that same cliff. However, if you are heading for a safe destination, like your nephew’s birthday celebration or a new job interview, that will help you and everyone flourish, a supportive aspect will help you get there more easily.
- August 1–9 (Exact August 3) Venus in Gemini conjunct North Node in Gemini: Venus seems to receive her job description for the month from the Moon’s nodes, and most specifically the North Node, as the month opens. She opens the envelope to find that she is embodying the role of “counselor” this month to the other planets, to bear witness to Uranus turning retrograde and to talk with Mars about the highest and best use of action, in addition to a scheduled session with Mercury and the Sun to discuss the importance of enjoying themselves in Leo. before they knuckle down and head into the sign of Virgo. Venus in Gemini can inhabit this flexible counselor role before heading into Cancer and playing a much more sensitive and undercover role in the skies. If we are like Venus, we can say this is a time to interview and ask questions and relax and support others. Be interested in what other people have to say and act with unconditional positive regard for the first third of the month. Listen instead of speak. Learn and practice the art of deep listening in relationships.
- August 1-9 (Exact August 3) Venus in Gemini oppose the South Node in Sagittarius: Venus here is cautioned not to take on the role of the expert or the teacher, so in our relationships, we want to stay in our questions instead of believing we have the answers. We will miss a lot when we believe ourselves to be the experts. When we find ourselves explaining things to other people, maybe back up and realize this reflex is something that blindsides us. We definitely don’t have the answers right now. That is an old story with some holes in it. We only know a little.
- August 16-19 (Exact August 17) Mercury in Leo sextile North Node in Gemini: (Forming a grand trine with the South Node in Sagittarius and Mars in Aries): The North Node is our highest path forward. In Gemini this is about evolving a new consciousness. The heart mind and fate converse through this aspect to form a language that beckons to you through the doorways of creativity. Find ways to express yourself and adore others and listen for how that affects your ability to perceive your sense of self.
- August 15-19 (Exact August 17) Sun in Leo sextile North Node in Gemini: (Forming a grand trine with the South Node in Sagittarius and Mars in Aries): Similarly, the embodiment of joy as you experience “self” is something you can observe. What is the self? Is there actually separation between the self and the environment? Are things alive or inanimate objects as was told to you in a subject/object framework of the world? Or are we one small part of a larger whole of something alive, such a drop of water in an ocean? What are the boundaries of the self? What is a self-definition? How would we re-order our lives if we live within an environment that we also perceive as alive?
- August 12-September 2 (Exact August 22) Mars in Aries sextile North Node in Gemini: This aspect links the personal planets together to add Mars, our planet that drives our behavior and acts as the method we use for advocacy and protection, to be linked to our fate and destiny. We are called to take new kinds of action in our lives based upon thoughts that represent a new level of emerging consciousness. Maybe these are small actions and maybe larger ones. All of them count and accumulate.
Full Moon in Aquarius and Uranus Retrograde:
August 3 Full Moon in Aquarius: (9:59 AM MST): The Full Moon sits in fixed signs and in square aspect to Uranus in Taurus. This is the moment of the year to touch and strengthen and celebrate in our bones the part of us that would be us no matter what was happening. What if we honor our soul, and somehow break through to the conscious awareness of our worthiness simply for being? There is a difference between personality and individuality. Individuality is that part of us that would be us no matter what mask we donned; despite our cultural group identities and fashions, and beyond the places in history we travel through—our essential and “fixed” individuality is a function that shines through the Astrological beings Uranus and Aquarius. With the Moon and Sun’s support, this is brought to us in a way we can feel in our hearts through Taurus and Leo. This day is sure to manifest enough ways for us to pay attention to how we have either been in tension around our sense of freedom (either people-pleasing, constrained, or irresponsible) or neglectful about allowing the wild and spontaneous mind take us on the journey past pretense.
August 15-21 (Exact August 18) Venus in Cancer sextile Uranus Retrograde in Taurus: This is Venus the psychoanalyst performing an evaluation of Uranus as it is turning retrograde—and Uranus at this turning point is Uranus at its strongest vibration. It’s a very good time to listen to the answers Uranus gives in this “session.” Venus will be asking questions to this planet located in Taurus such as:
- “I know you require revolutions and breakthroughs. How will you know this has happened for this individual?’
- “Tell me about what you need to demonstrate individuality via Taurus without creating rebellion?”
- “What contributions can I make to my character that are truly conscious and coherent—not merely symbolic?”
- “What courage must I summon to make the choice that matches who I am and not what I feel would be the most applauded choice?”
- “Where in my life has authority constrained my actions and beliefs? And what must I do to challenge that presupposition?”
August 15, 2020 – January 14, 2021 Uranus Retrograde in Taurus (10 degrees to 6 degrees): This is a time when we change our habit about how we deal with what we fund, create, and relate to. We need to turn our attention inward to understand our own addiction to the status quo as much as understand how culture and history have misstepped. How are we harming ourselves, and in turn, how does that harm the entire environment we live in and those around us? How do our simple daily habits defeat us time and time again? A change in mindset and in our thinking about how we walk through each day—looking down at our feet step-by-step—can begin to develop the impact of our thoughtlessness and neglectful impact and the retrograde allows us another chance to engage with Uranus in Taurus. Some mindfulness can beget a new conversation in several dimensions. Several Astrologers say Taurus is the sign ruling the planet Earth and I am tending to agree more and more.
August 21-28 (Exact August 25) Mercury in Virgo trine Uranus Retrograde in Taurus: This is such an auspicious time to clean up and organize. Also a wonderful time for earthly delights—nature, food, camping, artistic gift-making. Loving and helping others is also supported!
August 30-September 4 (Exact September 2) Sun in Virgo trine Uranus Retrograde in Taurus: Helping and serving others, and in so doing, finding the key to one’s own meaning and joy is the opportunity here. Uranus can bring unexpected gifts in the realm of service-oriented relationships. Healing can be sent even in the form of energy from afar to those we love and care for with tremendous strength of efficacy.
Let me know what you think! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Llewellyn also publishes the best selection of Tarot decks that I’ve discovered.)
Elise Hensley, LISW, an amazing healer, specializing in EMDR and Neurofeedback. Elise is one of only a few people trained in Neurofeedback in our area. She is someone who is a skilled and amazing mentor. Better yet, your insurance may cover your sessions. 505-270-8778.